Saturday, December 10, 2011

Australia (& I) eat humble pie as NZ stay (on top?) in T1


New Zealand 150 & 3/139 (44ov, )  lead Australia 136 (51ov, Siddle 36, Bracewell 3/20, Boult 3/29, Martin 3/46) by 153 runs with 7 second innings in hand: T2/2 D2/5 at Hobart.

OK, I didn't call it properly yesterday but I didn't put the boot into the Black Caps like
Gideon Haigh in The Australian   .did.

In NZ -like conditions (would we all be more comfortable if Tasmania became NZ's West Island?) Australia collapsed in the face of some persistently steady bowling from Chris Martin (37 yo and 3/46 today), Doug Bracewell, a commendable if surprising  for such a trundler 10-3-20-3,. Trent Boult on debut an accurately nippy 13-4-29-3 and Tim Southee, who only took one - crucial -  wicket, Ricky Ponting's accurately self assessed lbw.

When the Kiwis batted the expected (by me) collapse didn't eventuate despite a wobble or two (read 3/73), leaving the match interestingly poised (does this sound too patronising?) in NZ's favour.  I still can't believe that they can (ie have the will to) win but they've shown, much as it pains me to admit it, that they might be able to run Australia close. And leave egg on my, and Gideon Haigh's,faces.

Scorecard



No comments: