Monday, August 24, 2015

Something for everyone: Australia win T5, hand back Ashes to England

Australia 481 def England 149 & 286 (101.4ov, Cook 85, Buttler 42, Moeen Ali 35, Siddle 24.4-11-35-4, Lyon 2/53, M Marsh 2/56) by an innings & 46 runs: T5D4 at The Oval. England win series 3-2 and regain the Ashes. Player of the match: Steven Smith; Player of the series: 
Joe Root.

The forecast rain came when Australia had removed Mark Wood and Jos Buttler, and on TV looked to be bucketing down, raising hopes or fears, depending on which side you supported, of a wasshout draw.

But it passed, play eventually resumed and Australia (Peter Siddle to be precise) inevitably if not as quickly as they'd have liked, took the last two wickets, and the satisfaction of a crushing victory in bright sunshine.

England of course had already achieved the satisfaction of  recovering the Ashes. The post match celebration of this duly (and properly) overshadowed Australia's dead rubber win. An England player deserved to be names player of the series, and was. I thought that player should have been
Stuart Broad, not Joe Root. Yes, both did very well, but in my opinion Broad maintained a consistently high standard, even if he appeared a little weary in this Test. He may have bowled a few bad balls, but did he bowl a bad spell?  I can't recall one.

No comments: